Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The Love of Cherry Trees

This is my favorite time of year when all the cherry trees are in full bloom. I have a beautiful one in my yard with pink blossoms covering the walkway. Did you know....


The plantings of cherry trees originated in 1912 as a gift of friendship to the People of the United States from the People of Japan. In Japan, the flowering cherry tree, or "Sakura," is an exalted flowering plant. The beauty of the cherry blossom is a potent symbol equated with the evanescence of human life and epitomizes the transformation of Japanese culture throughout the ages.
For those of you who live in Washington, the above picture was taken from the University of Washington. These Japanese Cherry Blossoms are a half century old and are in full bloom. If you are in the area, take some time to visit the campus.

3 comments:

ROSE VINE COTTAGE said...

OMG that is just beautiful!! I wonder if they will grow in Florida, I want a whole yard
full of them (;
Hugs~Kelly

Lynnae said...

Beautiful.

Bella said...

Wow, Beautiful photo! I'm gonna have to try to get up north and see for myself:-) Bella